Come join us for a free education session: Accommodation Issues: Members Rights and Responsibilities for BCGEU members in Area 03. This educational session will be useful for all BCGEU members who want more information related to Duty to Accommodate or Return to Work.
- WHERE: BCGEU Lower Mainland Area Office, Broadway Tech Centre, Suite 130 – 2920 Virtual Way, Vancouver. Conveniently located across from the Renfrew Sky Train Station
- WHEN: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- REGISTER BY emailing Lisa Luthje at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (604) 215-1499 before Tuesday, March 17, 2015. Register early to be guaranteed a seat.
Presenters: Catherine Sullivan, Co-ordinator, Advocacy and Jaci White, Staff Representative, Benefits.
Both speakers have extensive experience assisting members with benefit and accommodation issues.
The session will present general information about the Employer's duty to accommodate members who because of disability, require accommodation either in their job position or duties.
The speakers will provide information about the duty to accommodate:
- What is the duty to accommodate? Is it a legal test?
- What are the Employer's obligations? Does the Union have obligations?
- What are my obligations as a member? Do I have to ask for accommodation? Does the Union tell?
- What is the "Duty to Co-operate" and what happens if I don't co-operate?
- What about requests for medical information?
- What is the difference between temporary and permanent requests for accommodation?
- What happens if I can't perform some or any of my job duties? Or I can't work a regular schedule?
- Summary of recent case law decisions
Lunch will be provided by the Area 03 Cross Component Committee
On behalf of the Area 3 Cross Component Committee
Download notice to post here.