Every year on December 6, we remember 14 female mechanical engineering students who were killed in on December 6, 1989 at Montréal's École Polytechnique in a horrific act of gender violence.
The women were:
- Geneviève Bergeron
- Hélène Colgan
- Nathalie Croteau
- Barbara Daigneault
- Anne-Marie Edward
- Maud Haviernick
- Barbara Klucznik Widajewicz
- Maryse Laganière
- Maryse Leclair
- Anne-Marie Lemay
- Sonia Pelletier
- Michèle Richard
- Annie St-Arneault
- Annie Turcotte
Two years later, the Parliament of Canada declared December 6 to be the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. This is a day to reflect and act to prevent violence against women that continues in our homes, communities, country and around the world.
This year marks the 26th anniversary of this tragedy.
On December 6, take a moment to remember the lives that were lost that day and the families that continue to mourn their loss. Do your part to raise awareness about the continuing issue of violence against women, take action and refuse to accept this in our society.
Please consider joining an event in your community, or consult one of the following organizations advocating for women’s rights for more resources or opportunities to volunteer:
- Surrey - The BC Federation of Labour will be having a candle-light vigil on Sunday December 6 between 4-6pm: http://bcgeu.ca/events/end-violence-against-women-5th-annual-candle-light-vigil (Download event poster here.)
- Abbotsford - Awareness raising event on December 5, 1-4pm at Mill Lake Park on Bevan Ave: http://psacbc.com/sites/bc/files/image.jpeg
- Victoria - Vigil on December 6th, 5-6pm at Holland Park on Dallas Road: http://psacbc.com/sites/bc/files/psac_-_dec_6th_invite.pdf
- Prince George - Wednesday Nov 25 12-1:30pm- UNBC Ceremony for the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women, and the Montreal Massacre Canfor Winter Garden, UNBC. Contact person for ceremony & reception: Sara Boyd: email@example.com
- Kamloops - Shoe Memorial, 10AM-2PM at St. Andrews on the Square, 159 Seymour Street
- Kelowna - Candlelight Walk, 6:30-8PM from Spring Valley Elementary to Mindy Tran Memorial
- Nanaimo – Candle & Pledge Distribution, 12-4PM on Dec 5 & 6 at the Woodgrove Mall
- Prince George - Rally Protesting Poverty & Violence Against Women - 12-2PM on Dec 5 at Courthouse Square - more details
- Penticton - Vigil, 3-8PM at OUC Penticton Campus - more details
- Vernon & North Okanagan - Self defense workshop, December 6th, 5:00 pm at Sundance Martial Arts 2905A-43 Ave
Download BCGEU December 6 National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women here