The BCGEU is one of the most diverse unions in British Columbia. The union is organized into components, as follows:
- Component 1 - Corrections and Sheriff Services: Our members who work at correctional centres and as sheriffs throughout British Columbia.
- Component 5 - Retail, Stores and Warehouse: Our members operate the provincial government's retail liquor stores and warehouse operations.
- Component 6 - Social, Information and Health: Our members in ministries across government who work in a great variety of social, cultural, educational, information technology, research, health care delivery and associated direct technical support functions, including social workers, child protection and probation officers, and system analysts.
- Component 12 - Administrative Services: Our members who provide administrative and support services in the direct government, a number of authorities in the broader public sector and for private employers under contract to provide government services.
- Component 20 - Environmental, Technical and Operational: Our members working in government engineering support and inspectional duties, protecting and regulating natural resources, and environmental protection. They include biologists, design engineers, conservation officers, laboratory workers, scientific/technical officers, inspectors and planning officers.
Component 10 - Operational Services: Our members working for private corporations, contracted by the government to maintain provincial highways and bridges. The component includes inland ferries, some municipal governments and tree nurseries.
- Component 4 - Health Services: Our members who work in facilities and as paramedical professionals in drug and alcohol treatment centres, adult day care, detox and emergency shelters, women's clinics, services to seniors, mental health group homes, regional health units and other community-based health services.
- Component 8 - Community Health Services: Our members covered by the HEABC Community Health subsector agreement.
Community Social Services
- Component 3 - Community Social Services: Our members who provide supports, services, and resources to vulnerable families and individuals across the province, including community living workers supporting youths and adults with developmental disabilities, youth-at-risk, women services, child care, community justice services, First Nations family services, and employment services, among others.
- Component 17 - General Services: BCGEU members employed by local governments, hotels, theatres, credit unions, B.C. Place, B.C. Housing Management, retail outlets, casinos, labs and call centres.
- Component 7 - Education, Scientific, Technical and Administrative: BCGEU Component 7 represents the Education, Scientific, Technical and Administrative workers of the union. Our members work in school districts, colleges, universities, institutes, private schools, private testing laboratories, offices, libraries, legal services, NDP constituency assistants and caucus workers, Student Unions, skill centres, and Native Court workers.