Our seniors and their loved ones need to know that quality care is there for them, when they need it and where they need it. Investing in more community-based health care, including home support and residential care, will keep people well in their homes and out of acute care, which creates long-term savings.
BCGEU is one of the largest unions representing health care workers in British Columbia. Our members work as care aides, community health workers, licensed practical nurses, health science professionals, activity workers, dietary and laundry staff, and administrative workers to provide care and support for seniors in their own homes and in care homes.
That is why we are committed to working together with community partners to build a better future for BC’s seniors.
A future that includes:
- expanded public home support services to ensure access according to need,
- an increase in direct care hours in residential care to at least 3.5 hours per resident per day,
- investment in training for seniors’ care workers.
- an end to contracting out of staff,
- more not-for-profit residential care beds and
- strong rights for seniors as recommended by BC’s Ombudsperson.