The Forest Protection Officers (FPOs) Grid 24 (STO5) in the South East Fire Centre filed a classification appeal in September 27, 2005 disputing their classification level. In 2006, it was agreed that this appeal would be applied province-wide to all FPO positions at Grid 24.
This is to inform you of a settlement that has been reached as a result of discussions with the PSA and the Ministry of Forests. The terms of settlement are as follows:
FPO (STO5), Grid 24 are to be paid acting pay at Grid 27 retroactive to October 30, 2005, while acting in the Fire Control Officer role with the following stipulations:
1. This settlement is limited to FPOs classified at the Grid 24 level.
2. Employees will receive acting pay at Grid 27 for straight-time and overtime hours. (note: this settlement does not include standby or call out hours)
3. Employees to provide log books and/or acceptable documentation as determined by the Employer to confirm periods in the acting role.
4. The union agrees to withdraw the appeal and to implement a classification appeal moratorium extending to March 31, 2012.
5. The employer agrees that all future acting assignments in the FCO role will be compensated at Grid 27.
6. All current and past FPO's, Grid 24 (STO5) employees that have acted in the Grid 27 FCO role must present documentation before June 30, 2010 in order to qualify for retroactive payment.
All past FPO G24 employees also can claim for FCO duties that they have performed. The Ministry has advised that it is best for all employees, past or present, to submit hours/logs. In order to claim for your hours, you must advise your current Fire Centre Manager in writing. If you are a past employee and no longer have records, you will need to discuss options with the Fire Centre Manager.
This settlement has a broader impact for all positions in the future. (STO 3s, 4s and 5s) at Grids 18, 21 and 24, will also be paid at Grid 27 when acting in the FCO role.
Byron Goerz, Component 20 Chair
Lorraine Yigit, Classifications Representative, HQ